Recycling Paint

The Vermont legislature adopted legislation requiring paint manufacturers to take back unused paint. Previously, such paint had been disposed at household hazardous waste events at significant cost. PaintCare operates this product stewardship program on behalf of the manufacturers and has been working with retailers to accept paint from residents and small businesses. These sites accept house paint and primers, stains, sealers, and clear coatings (e.g., shellac and varnish), but do not accept aerosols (spray cans), solvents, and products intended for industrial or non-architectural use. Those should be taken to household hazardous waste events. A detailed list of accepted products can be found at http://www.paintcare.org/wp-content/uploads/docs/xx-program-products-list.pdf .

The accepted products are referred to as “PaintCare Products” or “architectural paint,” and must be in containers that are no larger than 5 gallons in size. Paint must be in its original container and the container must have an original printed label and a secured lid. Open or leaking cans cannot be accepted. More details can be found at http://www.paintcare.org/paintcare-states/vermont/.

Locations Accepting Paint in Bennington County
Name Address Phone Notes
Miles True Value 178 Chittenden Dr., Arlington, VT 05250 (802) 375-2525 Up to five gallons
Aubuchon Hardware 1131 Depot St., Manchester Center. VT 05255 (802) 362-7000 Up to five gallons
R.K. Miles 691 Depot St., Manchester Center, VT (802) 362-1952 Up to five gallons
Sherwin Williams 215 Northside Dr., Ste 8

Bennington, VT 05201

(802) 442-5489 Up to five gallons
Sherwin Williams 263 Depot St.

Manchester Center, VT 05255

(802) 362-2833 Up to five gallons
W.W. Building Supply 434 VT Route 100
Wilmington, VT 05363
(802) 464-3364