Logo

11/17/2015 Minutes

From: Michael S. Batcher

Subject: November 17, 2015 SWIP Planning Meeting Minutes

Date: November 30, 2015

Town Representatives: Keith Squires (Arlington), Stu Hurd (Bennington), Rob Gaiotti (Dorset), John O’Keefe (Manchester), Tom Shuey (Pownal), Suzie dePeyster (Sandgate), Sandy Gaszek (Searsburg), Mitch Race (Shaftsbury), Nancy Bushika (Stamford), Steve Bendix (Sunderland), Mike Charette and Betty Charette (Woodford)

Not in Attendance: Ricky Harrington (Glastenbury), Mark Lourie (Rupert),

BCRC Staff: Michael S. Batcher

Location and Time: Arlington Town Hall – 4:00 to 6:00 PM

Introductions: Keith called the meeting to order at just after 4:00 PM. Other than one reporter, there were no members of the public.

Minutes: Keith asked if anyone had any changes to the minutes. Mitch Race moved and Sandy Gaszek seconded a motion to approve the minutes and the resolution was adopted unanimously.

Adoption of SWIP: The next motion was to adopt the SWIP, which was preapproved by VT ANR. This version reflected changes from the last meeting. The Alliance had adopted the version at that meeting, but the actual process was that VT ANR granted preapproval, the Alliance would adopt the SWIP and then VT ANR would grant final approval. Stu Hurd moved and Mike Charette seconded a motion to adopt the SWIP dated November 17, 2015. The motion was adopted unanimously. Michael will send the final version to VT ANR.

BCRC Contract: Michael had modified the contract as the Alliance wanted BCRC to subcontract with any contractors needed to implement the SWIP. This resulted in an increase for Year 1 to $186,665.00. This would also be the total budget for Year 1. BCRC would not exceed the total without preapproval by the Alliance. Michael explained that funds were left over from fiscal year 2014, and that these would offset payments for Year 1 for both the Alliance and for Bennington, which had a separate agreement with BCRC. This budget also assumed that the Alliance did not receive funding from grants from VT ANR or the Agency of Agriculture and Markets that help fund the HHW events. So, the actual amount the towns each would pay should be less than their proportion of $186,665.00, if all goes well. The budget for Year 2 totaled $177,455.00. Stu Hurd moved and Steve Bendix seconded a motion to approve the contract and both the Year 1 and Year 2 budgets. The motion was adopted unanimously.

Survey: Michael asked if the towns would need anything to help distribute the survey at town meeting in March. The survey, a cover letter and perhaps an explanation for town report was all that the representatives needed. Michael will prepare these by early 2016.

Hauler Registration: Towns have made efforts to register haulers. TAM has been responsive, but not Casella. Michael planned to send out contact information for haulers after the meeting. Other responses have been uneven. Republic responded to Stamford but not to Bennington. Tom Shuey said several haulers, including the Town of Williamstown, were bringing materials to TAM’s Pownal facility.

Other Items:

Proxy Votes: the group did not want to allow proxy votes. Representatives need to attend meetings. The towns should all appoint alternates to the Alliance board.

E-Waste: Michael reported that the E-Waste program is having problems as NCER, the contractor implementing the plan, will no longer pay the $0.05/lb. to collectors, like Pownal. Several of the solid waste districts may stop collecting. Tom Shuey said he is having problems getting materials picked up by URI.

ISWAP: ISWAP or the Integrated Solid Waste Applications Program is a separate program of the towns of Arlington, Dorset, Manchester, Sandgate and Sunderland to allow their residents to use the Sunderland and Northshire transfer stations. The Alliance is not part of that program, nor does any part of the budget pay for SWAP costs. The ISWAP towns have a contract with Casella, which just renewed automatically for three years. Michael suggested that the towns meet with Randy Dapron of Casella to discuss the program and changes given the Universal Recycling Law, along with other issues. John O’Keefe suggested the ISWAP representatives should meet to discuss the program and later meet with Randy Dapron of Casella.

Next Steps, Next Meeting and Adjournment: The group wanted to take a final look at potential outreach contractors, and agreed to provide feedback on the web contractors by November 30th. No next meeting date was set. Stu Hurd moved and Steve Bendix seconded a motion to adjourn and the resolution was adopted unanimously.