The Bennington County Solid Waste Alliance (BCSWA) was formed through an interlocal contract under Title 24, Chapter 121 of the Vermont Statutes. This contract was formed in 2015 by the Towns of Arlington, Bennington, Dorset, Glastenbury, Manchester, Pownal, Rupert, Sandgate, Searsburg, Shaftsbury, Stamford, Sunderland and Woodford. The Select Boards of the respective towns and the Town Supervisor of Glastenbury appointed representatives to serve on the Alliance Board. Following a lengthy planning process, the Alliance completed and adopted a solid waste implementation plan on November 17, 2015. This plan was subsequently approved by the Vermont Agency of Natural Resources on December 14, 2015.
Mission and Goals
The mission of the Bennington County Solid Waste Alliance is to reduce the amount of waste disposed in landfills, by incineration or similar means by reducing the amount of waste generated, conserving resources and promoting recycling and reuse. To accomplish this, the Alliance has adopted the following goals:
- Reduce the disposal rate, or the amount of municipal solid waste disposed, by 25% by 2020 from the 2015 amount.
- Increase the diversion rate, or the amount of material diverted from landfills, to 50%.
The Alliance is implementing education, outreach and other programs to assist residents and businesses in complying with the Universal Recycling Law, increasing reuse and recycling and reducing the amount of solid waste disposed in landfills. The Alliance programs will also help residents and businesses find solutions to the disposal of items such as electronic waste, fluorescent bulbs, paint and others that contain hazardous materials and are banned from landfills.
Alliance Board Members:
- Keith Squires, Chair, Select Board Chair of the Town of Arlington
- Stu Hurd, Treasurer, Town Manager of the Town of Bennington
- Rob Gaiotti, Secretary, Town Manager of the Town of Dorset
- Ricky Harrington, Town Supervisor of the Town of Glastenbury
- John O’Keefe, Town Manager of the Town of Manchester
- Tom Shuey, Transfer Station Operator for the Town of Pownal
- Mark Lourie, Select Board Chair of the Town of Rupert
- Suzie dePeyster, Select Board Chair of the Town of Sandgate
- Sandy Gaszek, Town Treasurer of the Town of Searsburg
- Dave Kiernan, Select Board Member of the Town of Shaftsbury
- Nancy Bushika, Select Board Member of the Town of Stamford
- Steve Bendix, Select Board Member of the Town of Sunderland
- Mike Charrette, Vice Chair, Select Board Member of the Town of Woodford
Alliance programs are supported and managed by the Bennington County Regional Commission