The mission of the Bennington County Solid Waste Alliance is to reduce the amount of waste disposed in landfills, by incineration or similar means by reducing the amount of waste generated, conserving resources and promoting recycling and reuse.
To accomplish this, the Alliance has adopted the following goals:
- Reduce the disposal rate, or the amount of municipal solid waste disposed, by 25% by 2020 from the 2015 amount.
- Increase the diversion rate, or the amount of material diverted from landfills, to 50%.
The Alliance is implementing education, outreach and other programs to assist residents and businesses in complying with the Universal Recycling Law, increasing reuse and recycling and reducing the amount of solid waste disposed in landfills. The Alliance programs will also help residents and businesses find solutions to the disposal of items such as electronic waste, fluorescent bulbs, paint and others that contain hazardous materials and are banned from landfills.
Stop by our new compost collection carts! It’s Free!
• Meat, poultry, fish, shellfish, bones
• Eggs and eggshells, cheese, dairy products
• Bread, baked goods, pasta, rice, beans, nuts, seeds
• Coffee grounds, filters, tea bags
• Vegetables and fruit
• Table scraps, plate scrapings, leftovers, spoiled food
What Not to Compost:
• Plastics such as wrappers, More…
Welcome to the Bennington County Solid Waste Alliance School Newsletter! Our goal is to highlight what is happening with our schools and celebrate their recycling events and activities. If your school is planning (or has held) a recycling event, please contact [email protected] so your story and pictures can be included in the next edition!
9:00 am – 1:00 pm
The Bennington County Solid Waste Alliance will hold a household hazardous waste collection event on Saturday, October 1, 2016 from 9:00 AM to 1:00 PM at the Dorset School, 130 School Drive in Dorset, VT.
The event is free for residents of the towns of: Arlington, Bennington, Dorset, Glastenbury, Manchester, Pownal, Rupert, Sandgate, More…